Are you preparing for a flight? In order to avoid any nasty surprises when the day comes, DELSEY will remind you of the essentials regarding luggage regulations.
To avoid any annoying inconveniences, refer first and foremost to the luggage conditions specific to your airline, as indicated on the ticket or the website. These conditions can also vary depending on the destination, the class in which you are travelling and the type of ticket.
Inherent constraints regarding cabin baggage
- You can carry an item of luggage and/or an accessory (handbag, camera, laptop...) free of charge.
- According to the IATA (International Air Transport Association), the standard maximum dimensions for cabin baggage (including wheels, handles and pockets) are 56 x 45 x 25 cm (cf. our table for more specific details).
- The total permitted weight is generally between 10 and 12 kg.
- Carefully follow the rules regarding liquids (each item no more than 100 ml and all placed within a single transparent plastic bag measuring 20 x 20 cm), and dangerous materials or objects that are prohibited on board.
Checked luggage and the allowance principle
- Your luggage transported free of charge in the hold is limited to a certain weight, according to two systems that are in force. The weight allowance principle entitles you to an indefinite number of items, with only the total weight taken into account: generally between 20 and 30 kg in economy class. As for the item allowance system, it entitles you to 1 to 3 items of luggage depending on the class, each weighing less than 23 kg and not exceeding a total size of 158 cm (IATA standards).
- Consult your airline for tariffs for excess luggage and outsize baggage (musical instruments, wheelchairs, surf boards…).
- You must of course strictly adhere to the list of goods that are restricted or prohibited in the hold.
With luggage that follows all of the required conditions to the letter, check-in is as simple as sticking a letter in the post and you will be in the sky before you know it - have a great flight!